Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Post 5 Genetic Disorder Cleft palate/ lip

1.Cleft palate/ lip
2.The causes of this disorder are where the lip or the palate don't form.
3.Most of the time this disorder affects the person or animal that it has happened to, or it can also affect the family because they don't know what to expect when you first find out about it.
4.It affects the person speech most of the time, or you have to eat a certain way for a certain amount of time. I had a cleft palate when I was born, I have seen all the pictures from my surgeries and have heard stories from my mom telling me how scared she was, because I couldn't eat right. There are pictures from when my mom fed me that it came out my nose. I was a very lucky baby. When we had finally got it fixed I weighed about the same as when I was born unlike a normal 10 month baby was suppose to. Its hard for people to understand that things like this do happen and no matter how we turn out there's always gonna be something different. So people with cleft lips I feel sorry for because if people get teased for speech impediments, I wonder what they do to people with cleft lips.
5.A typical procedure for a cleft palate/ lip is where they put the baby or kid, what ever age they are able to get the surgery. They get them on a surgery table and have to put you to sleep for a little bit, they pretty much put clamps in your mouth to hold your mouth open wide enough to stitch up the hole or gap in your lip. On the cleft palate you usually have enough lose skin in the roof of your mouth to sew together. On a cleft lip they have to use skin off another part of your body to fill in the gap.
6.Its very hard to prevent. You can't always keep the woman that is pregnant healthy, she is going to get sick. Its also a genetic gene.
7.Well as many people that I have met and also lived through myself, I don't think this is a life or death situation. One of my parents friends parents had the same thing as me and they are now about 80 or 90. So I think you can live a normal life with a few complications like what I had.



9.http://www.geneticalliance.org.uk/genesandyou_cleftlip.htm ;That website and my own experiance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is sad that people make fun of other people for having this, it's not the person fault.

Anonymous said...

Its horrible how people make fun of this disease. They shouldn't be bullies about this.